I had a lot of fun making the Marauder’s Map Fields Notes Cover, and I wanted to try something just a little bit more complex. Plus I needed a cover for a bigger journal. So I decided to extend the field notes cover in Illustrator to fit a 5″x8.25″ Moleskine Cahier Journal, and add a pen loop and snap.
Here’s a link to my design, in case anyone wants to use it. It looks like this:
After finishing the design, I fired up the Glowforge. There were only a few steps from there to a finished journal:
- Mask the leather. I find this helps keep the leather stable on the bed of the laser, in addition to preventing scorch marks.
- Cut out the design on the Glowforge, etching an image of Calvin & Hobbes on top.
- Dye and finish the leather.
- Put a snap on each side of the clasp.
- Saddle-stitch the pieces together.
- Sand down the edges a bit.
Here’s the finished product!