I don’t usually do movie-themed home decor, but when we moved into our new house and I was thinking about Logan’s room, “Adventure is Out There!” really stuck with me. Logan has been walking for two months and he climbs anything he can, goes down the slide by himself, runs after cats and squirrels, and generally finds adventure at every turn. And I really liked the art from the movie.
So first I went on Amazon and picked up some movie posters:
After looking at more pictures online for inspiration, I decided I really wanted to have a floating balloon house, too. But I didn’t see anything that I could buy, so I decided to make my own. I had seen some cool projects made with paper and Mod Podge, and I wanted to try it out. So I picked up some Mod Podge, scrapbook paper, and 1/32″ plywood up at Michael’s and went to work.
First, I looked at pictures of the house and designed my own version out of shapes on graph paper. I cut out the paper, and used it as a stencil to cut the plywood with an X-Acto knife.
I had bought a lot of different pieces of scrapbook paper that looked interesting, so I cut out the shapes on lots of pieces of paper and arranged them until I came up with a color scheme I liked.
Then I Mod Podged the paper onto the plywood, and glued the plywood pieces together with Titebond III. It worked pretty well, except I used a bit too much glue. I ended up having to scrape some off and redo the paper for the roof. But it turned out well.
For the balloons, I bought a bunch of 3″ wood circles, and Mod Podged tons of different patterns of scrapbook paper onto them. When everything was dry, I spent some time arranging them all together on the floor.
I ended up mounting the balloons on one of the foam boards I used for blocking Doug’s sweater, and then just cutting around the outside with an X-Acto knife.
Doug mounted the house and balloons to the wall with these picture hanging strips.
Finally, I used floral wire for the ballon strings–I pushed one end of each wire into the foam board, and the other end behind the house.
We are pretty happy with the end result! If I were to do it again, I think I could do a more professional job if I sketched the house in illustrator and cut it on a laser cutter. Maybe next time!
A photo of the finished nursery: